cover art and pic by Pedro Bruneel
ODG127 : Xtof Calis / Actif et réactif
Xtof Calis is the moniker of Belgian musician and composer Christophe Calis (see ODG122).
As a philosophy student Calis discovered the work of French philosopher Gilles Deleuze. This inspired him to develop the concept of ‘devenir-son’, ‘becoming-sound’ and to explore how sound can territorialize the body. With the aid of laptop, synthesizers and guitar, Calis' sound-sculptures create contemplative and meditative affects in a unique style of ambient music, marked by an experimental and glitchy edge.
Xtof Calis about his album:
"This album is a follow-up of my first album, “Le tragique” (2011). Both or inspired by a book by Gilles Deleuze, namely ‘Nietzsche et la philosophie’.The first album was made in about seven days, this second one took me about seven years. The reason for this time-lapse is called “fatherhood”. Becoming a father of two sons, renovating a house and having a full time job changed my life drastically. I never stopped making music, but I just couldn’t focus on finishing this album. I made more than a hundred sketches of songs. During the summer of 2019, I finally could bring back my full attention to this project. I started to select the sketches that I liked the most and started to improvise over them with only one goal: finishing what I started, to explore the concept of sound-becoming further."
Composed, played , recorded and mixed by Xtof Calis.
Digital release on the 28th of August 2020.
- Le corps
- La distinction des forces
- Quantité et qualité
- Nietzsche et la science
- Premier aspect de l'éternel retour : comme doctrine cosmologique et physique
- Qu'est-ce que la volonté de puissance?
- La terminologie de Nietzsche
- Origine et image renversée
- Problème de la mesure des forces
- La hiérarchie
- Volonté de puissance et sentiment de puissance
- Le devenir-réactif des forces
- Ambivalence du sens et des valeurs
- Deuxième aspect de l'éternel retour : comme pensée éthique et sélective
- Le problème de l'Éternel Retour
And on Bandcamp: